Solving the UTF-8 problem

CE Whitehead cewcathar at
Thu Jul 12 17:03:38 CEST 2007

Doug Ewell dewell  at
>CE Whitehead <cewcathar at hotmail dot com> wrote:
>>Hi, I am also for utf-8 so long as we link to the appropriate
>>fonts/viewers (for libraries).
>I'm still not convinced that this is our responsibility.  I can try looking
>for some stable and informative links -- Alan Wood's outstanding pages at
> leap to mind -- but as we said before,
>this is unlikely to be of much use to a library user who isn't allowed to
>install fonts or software.
>(I am still willing to bet that CE's library machine has Internet Explorer
>4.0 or later, and can thus view a local UTF-8 file.)

You are right it has IE 4.0 or later and an up-to-date Mozilla browser too
but it does not have the fonts or any way for me to download!
Here is the view:

"<p>The title in Chinese is <span lang="zh-Hans"

(Maybe the characters will come out in your email but they look like ??? in
my browser; I need to take an image; no decent camera here)
So just make sure to link to the fonts, viewers, etc. when you put up the
utf-8 version
and keep an ansi or ascii version unofficially.

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at