Request for variant subtag fr 16th-c 17th-c RESUBMISSION

CE Whitehead cewcathar at
Fri Jan 26 20:26:48 CET 2007

Hi!  My comment is at the bottom.
>CE Whitehead wrote:
> > >[John Cowan]
> > >In any case, where languages encompassed by a macrolanguage already
> > >have 639-1/639-2 codes, they will remain language subtags and not
> > >extlang subtags.  So frx-frm would be equally bad.
> >
> > That means I gather that we will not be able to use fro or frm or any
> > language with an existing subtag if a French macro-language were
> > would have to create a whole new set of subtags?  As we could not extend
> > use of these.
>I take John to be saying that fro and frm are language codes and could not
>be used as subtags of a French macrolanguage.  That seems OK to me.
>But I hope it would be possible, given a French macrolanguage, to create
>number of subtags, some of which might have the same meaning as fro or frm,
>but would have to be differently named.  Since the rules for subtag names
>are more flexible, we could have frx-ancien or frx-moyen (the latter subtag
>name once mentioned by CE, I think) and these are so much more confortable
>that we might well find the language codes fro and frm being deprecated in
>the distant future.
>But as Doug said, we mustn't get too far ahead of ourselves, there is no
>certainty that we will get a French macrolanguage.
>Ciarán Ó Duibhín.

Thanks.   I'd hope we'd get this option too.  But no I did not suggest
frx-ancien and frx-moyen (which are great tags I think) though I may have
suggested frx!