[Ltru] Re: Macrolanguages, countries & orthographies

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Wed Feb 14 22:21:35 CET 2007

From: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no [mailto:ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no] On Behalf Of CE Whitehead

> Agreed, it is here a Macro-language that would include Creole
> languages like "Tok Pisan" with English, Middle English, Scots,
> would come in.

This is absolutely abusing macrolanguage as defined and intended for use in ISO 639-3. There is no scenario I can think of in which users would want to consider resources in English (i.e. what I'm writing in) and Tok Pisin resources as being in the same language. That's just silly.

You folk could as readily discuss what parts of the colour space "Red" should encompass, but for anyone to suggest that this coded symbol in HTML can be used for anything other than #FF0000 would be ridiculous. This discussion is starting to strike me as similar to that.

Peter