[Ltru] Re: Macrolanguages, countries & orthographies

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 14 21:27:43 CET 2007

Hi, Debbie, Dave S., John C, all,
my comments are below:

Dave Starter wrote:
>My comment had nothing to do with mutual intelligibility. There is no
>theoretic reason to prioritize English (en) over Scots (sco) as
>including ang and enm. They both descended from enm and ultimately
>ang. Likewise, there's no reason to prioritize modern Dutch over
>Afrikaans as covering Middle Dutch (dum); it is equally valid to
>consider Middle Dutch a historical form of one as the other.

Agreed, it is here a Macro-language that would include Creole languages like
"Tok Pisan" with English, Middle English, Scots, would come in.

But I do see a problem with parent-child relationships;
my point about Old English being Old English or Old Danish was an example
(take a look at the Icelandic sagas;
I know" hwaet!" [ lo! behold!  what!] is the same in both Beowulf and the
Icelandic sagas; I think "bein" is bone in Old Danish, but "bann" or
something similar is bone in Beowulf; cannot remember exactly how it's
spelled now:
http://www.northvegr.org/lore/sweet/008.php

there are other similar problems; John Cowan mentioned a possible
macrolanguage for Occitan/Provencal which I think some people consider to be
closely related to Catalan.

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com