Macrolanguages, countries & orthographies

Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com
Wed Feb 14 00:39:37 CET 2007

Lars wrote:

> Mark Davis wrote:
>
> > Assume that old Czech is as different from modern as fro is from fr.
>
> But is this a real problem?  How much total literature is written
> and available in different variations of Czech?  ...
> Can you give any concrete examples when not having a
> separate *code* for pre-renaissance Czech is a practical problem?

<snip>

> I'm scanning old books, and I'm starting to see a practical
> problem with different orthographies and spelling reforms,

Lars,

I think you answer your own question. If you use a digital system to track
historical assets in a library, whether those assets are physical or
digitized, knowing exactly what's in the collection helps the audience of
the collection. The tags are used for identification, not just
localization.

Karen Broome
Sony Pictures Entertainment