Proposal for a subtag registration (fr-2004-ORTOGRAF or fr-ortograf ?)

Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com
Fri Dec 14 20:18:01 CET 2007

Reviewing the Ubuntu site, they are not complying with ISO 639-1 or ISO
639-2 today and it appears they may already be assigning non-standard
codes. Neither of those ISO standards indicate things such as Brazilian
Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, or Hong Kong Chinese -- all on the Ubuntu
list. If Ubuntu is currently using ISO 639 standards only, the development
teams are adding semantics not included in the ISO standards and making up
codes.

Or possibly they already use RFC 3066 or 4646 and would accept a
private-use variant code.

Regards.

Karen Broome
Metadata Systems Designer
Sony Pictures Entertainment
310.244.4384

Mario Périard <mario_periard at hotmail.com>
Sent by: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no
12/14/2007 09:48 AM

<ietf-languages at iana.org>
cc

Subject
Re: Proposal for a subtag registration (fr-2004-ORTOGRAF or fr-ortograf ?)

exemple - Why we need a tag?:

For instance, if I want to translate Ubuntu (the Linux distribution) in
order to allowed people to choose "Ortograf alternativ' during the install
or update process of Ubuntu.
To do this I have to create a new translation team (directory):
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu
To do this I need an ISO-639-1 or ISO-639-2 code. Soon I will be able to
use an ISO-639-3 or variant tag (if i have one), a bue print has been
draft for it in the Ubuntu translation project (rosetta-launchpad):
https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/rosetta/+spec/language-variants-support

I don't know the technical or political reasons behind that, but a
language code is often required to be a part of a translation sortware
project.

Livres, DVDs, gadgets, musique et bien plus. Magasinez en ligne dès
aujourd'hui avec Sympatico / MSN Magasiner!