Proposal for a subtag registration (fr-2004-ORTOGRAF or fr-ortograf ?)

Mark Crispin MRC at CAC.Washington.EDU
Fri Dec 14 02:10:37 CET 2007

I am curious about one point.

As I understand it, the "ortograf alternativ" orthography is what in the
vernacular is called a "simplified spelling" of French.  It is presented
as a means to enable literacy in individuals who have a handicap that
causes them difficulties with the standard orthography of French
difficult.

One note: the way you described it sounds rather condescending in
English; in particular "defective" has a negative connotation in English.
This was probably totally unintentional, but shows the dangers of literal
translations... ;-)

My question is whether or not you wish to propose this orthography as
something that should ultimately be adopted by the general public as a
"simplified spelling reform", with the obvious advantage of lowering the
bar to literacy for everybody [and obvious disadvantages].

I am no Francophone; but I am under the impression that Francophones have
a particular pride in the beauty and stability of their language, and
would resist any such measure more than perhaps any other culture.

If this orthography is limited to the handicapped, wouldn't that further
serve to disenfranchise these unfortunates?  In effect, they would be
taught to read in a language that only they use, and the language of the
general public would remain forever incomprehensible.  Is that really a
good thing?

All of this is irrelevant to whether this orthography gets a tag, and
what the tag should be.  It is more for my own curiosity.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.