be-tarask

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Apr 25 07:40:58 CEST 2007

At 03:42 +0300 2007-04-25, Jaska Zedlik wrote:

>Yury Tarasievich wrote:
>
>YT> If the occurences of the word "classic" would be limited to the
>YT> translation of the title of the book, that'd quite sufficient and fair
>YT> to everybody involved, I believe.
>
>This is not sufficient and not fair to the users of the orthography
>who requested the subtag and want it to use.

Gentlemen, I am *not* going to support this kind of contest. The
subtag "tarask" is not being added in order to legitimize or to
glorify one orthography over another. I may even be sympathetic to a
preference for non-Russified orthography, but that doesn't matter.
The subtag "tarask" is being added so you can tag data, not so you
can win an argument.

I want to close this thread and register the subtag. I do not want
weeks more of discussion and argument about it. We determined what
the subtag should be, let's move forward.

===
Comment - This subtag represents Belarusian orthography as published
in Branislau Taraskievic's "Bielaruskaja gramatyka dla skol" (Vilnia:
"Bielaruskaha kamitetu", 1929, 5th edition).
===

I would like to approve this (or something very like it) now, and be
done with it.