be-tarask

Jaska Zedlik sub at zedlik.com
Wed Apr 25 02:42:10 CEST 2007

Hello,

Doug Ewell wrote:

DE> Jaska never said it was part of a book title.  This is an unfortunate
DE> misunderstanding that keeps being repeated.  Jaska wrote:

>> This is the title given by the book mentioned in references in the
>> form.

DE> using the word "title" to mean "more-or-less official name given to the
DE> orthography," and Yury interpreted this as being part of a book title,
DE> which was not Jaska's intent.

Probably this is really some misunderstanding. Now it is impossible to
say about some official name of the orthography because this
orthography is not supported by the Belarusian authorities and they
hardly admit its existing. Everything in this direction is made by
enthusiasts who want to support this non-official Belarusian
orthography. And among this work is a book describing the orthography
which was preparing for more than 15 years. Well, the title of the
book is "Belaruski klasycny pravapis" (in Belarusian Latin) or if to
translate it into English "Belarusian classical orthography". And this
book describes the orthografy the subrag is intended to be used for
and gives the orthography the name "Belarsian classical orthography".

Even the first sentence in the book is the following:
"This work is a result of longstanding activity for the improvement of
the set of rules of the Belarusian classical orthography, the first
codification of which made Branislau Taraskievic in the context of
'Belarusian orthography for schools'." (Another book mentioned in the
references in the registration form).

And the people who use this orthography prefer to call it the
Belarusian classical orthography hardly less often as Taraskievica.
And to my mind if this term is more popular in the Belarusian internet
segment than the words 'fork' or 'silk' it can already became an
accepted name even if somebody (i.e. authorities) don't 'notice' its
existance.

CE Whitehead wrote:

CW> So waiting to hear more from the community of Belarussian speakers,
CW> including advocates of using both orthographies.

As I was asked to represent here the opinion of the Taraskievica
(classical orthography) users, I can say the users of the orthography
want the term "Belarusian classical orthography" to be included into
the Comments (and you can see it also by survey results).

Yury Tarasievich wrote:

YT> Well, the title of the book in question is (translated):  "Modern
YT> normalisation of the classical orthography". It's the standard book

I don't know what is the book Yury means but the book the orthography
is based on has the title "Belarusian classical orthography". And a
subtitle "The set of rules. Modern normalization". Vilnia-Miensk 2005.
This is different. The electronic preview version of the book you can
find, for example, here: http://www.svaboda.org/info/pravapis2005.pdf
If you need any further translation from Belarusian, please, let me
know.

Yury Tarasievich wrote:

YT> If the occurences of the word "classic" would be limited to the
YT> translation of the title of the book, that'd quite sufficient and fair
YT> to everybody involved, I believe.

This is not sufficient and not fair to the users of the orthography
who requested the subtag and want it to use.

Jaska Zedlik