be-tarask

Mark Crispin MRC at CAC.Washington.EDU
Mon Apr 23 18:30:19 CEST 2007

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007, Ciarán Ó Duibhín wrote:
> It seems to me we should call an orthography by what the users of the
> orthography call it, and that to do otherwise would be an unwarranted
> intervention.

That seems to be an extremely dangerous policy.  As soon as you allow the
"users" of an orthography to choose the name, all sorts of crackpot
political names will pop up.

The reason why we have scholarly review for nomenclature in registries is
to prevent such things from happening.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.