policy wrt politics (was RE: be-tarask language subtag registration form)

C Eddie Whitehead cewcathar at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 3 16:51:34 CEST 2007

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer [mailto:bortzmeyer at nic.fr]

>>> a) Reject any request with political issues to ensure this
list
>>> avoids politics?
>>
>> Certainly not. This would give veto power to anyone in the
>> world. Anyone could shout "This proposal is politically wrong" and
>> then stall all the process.
As I've said, I agree this could be the case; it's troubling.
>Evidently you and Mark Crispin are in disagreement over this.

Peter

petercon at microsoft.com

Karen_Bromme at spe.sony.com
Karen Broome
Metadata Systems Designer
Sony Pictures Entertainment
310.244.4384   :
>I don't think anyone's disagreeing that there are at least two variants of the orthography of this language. I think the politics
> come in when the variants represent certain political sectors and you have an
> instance . . .

>As far as the "be" Wikipedia, the two groups are not amenable to working >together because of political biases so WMF
>needs to make a choice as
>far as what content populates its "be" namespace. That's very political because >it implies a
>preference.
(We are not Wikipedia, Michael, Doug, somemone, right, so this is not our issue here, whatever is happening there, right?  )

>On the other hand, I'd like to think that we don't represent a bias as
>to the "right" variant of a language.

Yes, that's what I understand too that we don't represent a bias or at least are not supposed to regardless of any personal biases we may have.

>We should be careful now and in the future to disregard the politics of the >implementation that led to the request and
>consider requests on their descriptive merits. I don't think the descriptive needs >for these tags were ever political or
 >debatable. If I'm wrong on that, I'm sure someone will enlighten me.

Yes I agree, it's my understanding that subtags are assigned regardless whenever there is a need out there--that is, use of a language or script or variety of one out there.

We can ask Michael again for a policy clarification here; or Doug; or any other person who runs this list.

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at yahoo.com