be-tarask language subtag registration form

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Sun Apr 1 01:05:58 CEST 2007

C Eddie Whitehead wrote:

> My one concern with the year names for the subtags is that perhaps
> other people from the former Soviet areas will pick say the 1933
> subtag up and use it incorrectly;
> so I think we need something a bit more explicit here;
> we are allowed 8 characters;
> at least maybe be1933 or bel1933 (for the Soviet reform orthography)

Is it just me, or are we in danger of going overboard using years in
subtags when the variants in question already have names?

My impression of "1901" and "1996" was that there really wasn't any
other choice, because neither of the reforms had a name associated with
it.  The variant of Belarusian in question is apparently called
"Taraskievica."  Why on earth would we use a year number instead of
that?

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/