Request for variant subtags "scouse" and "boont"

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Sat Sep 2 09:19:25 CEST 2006

I support both of these variant subtags requested by John Cowan.

The motivation for them, as John and Addison indicated, is to move the
existing grandfathered tags "en-boont" and "en-scouse" into the realm of
normal, composable tags.  The existing grandfathered tags would be moved
to "redundant"; no needless and confusing duplicate tagging options
would be created.  In fact, the only real change would be that these
variants could now be used with other subtags in a generative manner:

    en-US-boont
    en-Latn-boont
    en-boont-x-uncle-horace

I note John agreed to remove the Suppress-Script entries from his
proposal forms, since they were obvious oversights and not allowable
under the current rules.  I wonder, however, if we (LTRU) might have a
need in the future to revise those rules and allow a Suppress-Script for
a language-variant combination.  I don't have a real example, but close
your eyes and pretend for a moment that we are faced with a dialect of
Mongolian that warrants a variant on proper linguistic grounds, and
coincidentally happens to be written overwhelmingly in Cyrillic script
and virtually never in Mongolian script.  In that hypothetical case, it
might be appropriate to consider that the language-variant combination
"mn-whatever" should have a Suppress-Script of "Cyrl" even though "mn"
by itself has none.  Just a thought.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA