LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM: Variant for a Latin-based alphabet for Id?l-Ural (Qazan) Tatar (iqtel)

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Wed Oct 18 05:27:07 CEST 2006

"Reshat Sabiq (Reşat)" <tatar dot iqtelif dot i18n at gmail dot com>
wrote:

>> We still have not resolved the question of how to tag
>> transliterations and transcriptions.  I pray we come up with a real
>> system, not just an ad-hoc solution for this one case.
>
> Here are some (humble) thoughts i have on this:
> 1. I believe the practice of using the base letters when diacritics
> are not available is common in Latin script in general. If this was
> applied here, then Description could be:
> Idil-Ural-Qirim Tatar Elifbasi
> [...]

That's not what I meant, although it was interesting.  What I meant was,
we haven't decided whether to use variant subtags for transliterations
and transcriptions and just register them one by one, or create an
extension RFC dedicated to T's and T's and do some research to find
commonly used ones, and apply some logic to the subtags thus assigned.

Actually, I think I know the answer: we're probably going to register
variants one by one.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/