LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION - GB

Debbie Garside debbie at ictmarketing.co.uk
Fri Mar 31 19:11:42 CEST 2006

> Do people view this operation as a kind of "splitting" of GB into GB,
> GG, IM and JE? Or do people generally think of this as the addition of
> GG, IM and JE?

This is the question I am attempting to address with ISO.  Personally I view
it as a split, in which case the code GB should be annotated to reflect this
split. In reality, what has happened is that the Newsletter deleted all
reference to the Channel Islands and Isle of Man from the GB tag instead of
annotating to say that as of 03/29/06 GG JE and IM should be used for...
etc.  which would IMHO give the correct historical information.

> If many think of this as a split, and an organization or
> individual wanted to follow these splits over time, would they have to
> go to ISO (or subscribe to their newsletter)?

This is the problem that I am trying to address with the "tools" available
within the registry. Ideally I would like to add a comment saying "as of
03/29/06 GB no longer includes the Channel Islands and Isle of Man see GG JE
IM".  This would, in my view, suffice.  But I don't think, having spoken to
Doug, that the registry is really designed to do this.  I think he is right
but I also think it is easier to have something updated or annotated within
the registry than it is to get the ISO cogs moving.

> It would be nice if people
> didn't have to go to ISO, since that is the very organization that we
> have said is too unstable for our purposes.

Being quite active within ISO I don't think of it as being unstable there
are a great many people doing a lot of good work, not least the ISO Convenor
for ISO 3166.  The problem is liaison... another thing I have tried to
address on this list... :-)

Best regards

Debbie Garside
Editor ISO CD 639-6