Guernsey Jersey and Isle of Man ISO 3166-1 Codes

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Wed Mar 29 16:31:46 CEST 2006

The worst-kept secret in ISO 3166 history is out:

http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/03updates-on-iso-3166/nlv11-div.html

This newsletter announces the addition of three new ISO 3166-1 code
elements for Jersey (JE), Guernsey (GG), and Isle of Man (IM).

The next three messages to this list will be registration requests for
three new region subtags, for the Language Subtag Reviewer to forward to
IANA.  These come less than 7 hours after the newsletter was posted on
the ISO site, a speed record that will probably never be broken.  :-)

I note that the ISO newsletter contains a curious update to the United
Kingdom (GB) entry, in which the Remarks field "Includes the Channel
Islands, the Isle of Man" has been changed to "Includes Jersey,
Guernsey, Isle of Man."  This would seem to be the same thing in
different words, and not consistent with adding the three new code
elements on their own.  Indeed, the text at the bottom of this entry
says:

> Description of change: Delete the remark "Includes the Channel
> Islands, the Isle of Man" (p. 20). Delete the entry for the Channel
> Islands in Annex A (p. 51). Delete the entry for the Isle of Man in
> Annex A (p.51).

with no mention of adding the new remark on what I guess is page 20.
However, since these ISO remarks do not affect RFC 3066bis region
subtags, we can ignore them (I just thought it was funny).

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA