Fixing the lost el-Latn

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Sun Mar 26 21:24:38 CEST 2006

John Cowan <cowan at ccil dot org> wrote:

>> I really don't see what the problem is.  The standard (lowercase 's')
>> for Internet language tagging is now RFC 3066bis, which allows
>> "el-Latn" as a generative tag.  Only those applications that support
>> RFC 1766 and RFC 3066 registered tags, but do not support RFC
>> 3066bis, are affected by the failure of IANA to add "el-Latn" to the
>> tag registry.
>
> Which is to say, all of them.  Unfortunately, nobody can support RFC
> 3066bis, because it still has no official RFC number.

There are a great many applications that claim to support RFC 1766 and
3066, but do not support registered tags.  These are the ones that
understand "en", and "zh-CN", and maybe even "haw", but do not
understand "en-boont" or "zh-Hant-CN", or cannot tell that "en-boont" is
valid while "en-boons" is not.  That kind of application will not
benefit from "el-Latn" being registered.  Ira's network-printer protocol
is an example.

I do have an application that I claim supports RFC 3066bis (with or
without an RFC number), because the document has been approved by IESG.
However, I'm not releasing it until the RFC number is assigned.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA