Guernsey Jersey and Isle of Man ISO 3166-1 Codes

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Sat Mar 25 06:45:36 CET 2006

Debbie Garside <debbie at ictmarketing dot co dot uk> wrote:

>> I know that. The problem is that the UN lists 830 *not* as a region,
>> but as a country or area (whereby 'area' they appear to mean
>> territory, so they can get around the contested country issues).
>
> So what would be the best or a good solution to the problem?

How about:  Don't worry about it.

Look at it this way:  The reason for including a region (country) subtag
in a language tags is to identify the specific variety of that language
as used in that particular country (region).  Within a few days, we will
have separate region subtags for Guernsey and Jersey.  To say that a
"Channel Islands" subtag is also necessary for language tagging is to
say that some language -- English, French, Dgèrnésiais, Jèrriais,
anything -- has a "Channel Islands variety" that needs to be identified,
not just a more generic "U.K. variety" or a more specific "Guernsey
variety" or "Jersey variety."

If ISO 3166/MA decides, for whatever reason, to approve a "Channel
Islands" code element *in addition to* GG and JE, then of course we
would have to add it as a region subtag.  But I can't imagine why they
would do that.  Certainly "demand from the language tagging community"
wouldn't be the reason.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA