[Ltru] status of RFC 3066 or RFC 3066bis in relation to HTTP Accept-Language

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Fri Mar 24 16:28:45 CET 2006

Hi Peter,

You may take this answer about "IETF versioning" with a grain
of salt, but...

When I complained awhile back to Roy Fielding that RFC 3986
renamed many ABNF productions from RFC 2396 and left others
out entirely, Roy told me that it did no harm, because all those
pre-existing RFCs that already normatively referenced RFC 2396
still did so (in perpetuity), because the IETF does not follow
the ISO, ITU-T, and IEEE style that a newer version of a given
standard is automatically the normative reference intended.

I thought at the time that this was sophistry - I still do!

Cheers,
- Ira

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839