[Ltru] Guernsey Jersey and Isle of Man ISO 3166-1 Codes

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Thu Mar 23 17:37:17 CET 2006

Peter Constable scripsit:

> I'm a little concerned with this response: It's apparent by now that
> Michael has assumed his role has only been what it had previously
> been, which is only to review requests posted on this list and send
> mail to IANA when something is ready to go in the registry. We've now
> encountered two responsibilities that are assumed in the new RFC but
> that Michael has not been assuming. Are there any other assumptions
> about who is doing what that we need to get out on the table?

3066bis says:

# Maintenance of the registry requires that as codes are assigned or
# withdrawn by ISO 639, ISO 15924, ISO 3166, and UN M.49, the Language
# Subtag Reviewer MUST evaluate each change, determine whether it
# conflicts with existing registry entries, and submit the information
# to IANA for inclusion in the registry.

It doesn't say that he has to notice the changes himself, as long as he
evaluates them.  And there is even a fallback in the next sentence:

# If a change takes place and the Language Subtag Reviewer does not
# do this in a timely manner, then any interested party MAY use the
# procedure in Section 3.5 (Registration Procedure for Subtags) to
# register the appropriate update.

We have plenty of resources to get done what needs to be done.  I don't
see anything to worry about.

--
John Cowan                              <cowan at ccil.org>
http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              http://www.ap.org