[Ltru] Process Enhancement

Addison Phillips addison at yahoo-inc.com
Mon Mar 20 23:28:43 CET 2006

-1

This proposed process strikes me as overkill. IANA has done a good job, as far as I can tell, historically. I think if we were going to change things it would be to make their job easier and simpler. This we could do as follows:

1. Provide the ability to fix clerical errors explicitly in 3066ter. I note that this is already provided for by allowing for changes to most fields via repeated registration and record replacement anyway, but explicitly calling it out would be good.

2. Changing from the LSR providing records to the LSR providing the updated file (this is much easier for IANA to validate and verify; the "subtag-registry-beta" mentioned below can be hosted on a mirror site such as evertype or inter-locale or alvestrand for easy access and incorporated into the existing review process without having a separate clock and separate approval to muck about with).

3. Ensuring that we provide IANA and LSR with formatting and validation tools (I've already offered the LSR such tools privately, since I have a record-jar processor and tools for creating and validating registration forms). A "langtag-nits" tool would help ensure prompt registrations. Right now IANA has to insert the fields and then check the file--a manual process. The proposed process adds several layers of complexity to what should be as simple as possible.

Addison

Addison Phillips
Internationalization Architect - Yahoo! Inc.

It is not a feature.