Process Enhancement

Mark Davis mark.davis at icu-project.org
Mon Mar 20 18:49:13 CET 2006

I suggest that we discuss with iana an enhancement of the process used
for registration. I believe that this is consonant with the current
rules, although it could be formalized in the 3066ter revision eventually.

Problem.
Once a code appears in the registry, we are committed to it. However,
there are various points of possible failure; either the reviewer or the
iana staff could make a mistake in transcription.

Proposal.
To help prevent that, I suggest the following:

1. All changes to the language subtag registry are first made in a trial
version of the registry, located at
http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry-beta.
2. Any time this beta file is changed, a notice is sent out to the
ietf-languages at iana.org list. This starts a 1 week review period for of
those changes.
3. At the end of the period, if nobody on the list raises an objection,
the reviewer notifies iana to release the beta: the contents are copied
to http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry.
4. If an objection is raised, then an additional week will be allowed
for discussion. At the end of that period, the reviewer will either
request iana that
4a. the release is to proceed or
4b. the beta file is to be modified, which returns to Step 2.

(these are numbered for reference).

Mark