Formal request for explanation of IANA delay

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Mon Mar 20 18:22:17 CET 2006

I am writing to request a prompt explanation from IANA regarding its
delay in registering the following seven updates to the Language Subtag
Registry, defined by RFC-ietf-ltru-registry-14.txt:

anp
(http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/ietf-languages/2006-March/004100.html)
frr
(http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/ietf-languages/2006-March/004101.html)
frs
(http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/ietf-languages/2006-March/004102.html)
fy
(http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/ietf-languages/2006-March/004103.html)
gsw
(http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/ietf-languages/2006-March/004104.html)
krl
(http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/ietf-languages/2006-March/004106.html)
zxx
(http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/ietf-languages/2006-March/004107.html)

As of Monday, March 20, 17:15 UTC, these updates were not reflected in
the official Registry located at
http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry.

These registration instructions were submitted to IANA by the Language
Subtag Reviewer on March 8, twelve days ago, in accordance with Section
3.3 of RFC-ietf-ltru-registry-14.txt.  They reflect changes in the
underlying ISO 639-1 and 639-2 standards; the Registry is required to
keep pace with such changes.  As with all such instructions, there is no
administrative decision to be made by IANA except to insert the updates
in the Registry as described in Section 5.1 of
RFC-ietf-ltru-registry-14.txt.  This is a purely clerical task.

RFC-ietf-ltru-registry-14.txt does not specify a time frame by which
IANA must act on registration submissions from the Reviewer.  However,
keeping the Registry updated in a timely manner is paramount to the
success of the language tagging process described in the RFC, and one of
the main motivations for the LTRU project that created it.  An
unexplained delay of nearly two weeks for this task does not seem
justified.

If this request for action and/or explanation by IANA may only be made
by the Reviewer, in accordance with Section 3.2, then I ask that the
Reviewer make this request on my behalf.

I expect that IANA will be able to explain the delay promptly and
satisfactorily, and that it will not foreshadow an ongoing pattern with
regard to its maintenance of the Registry.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA