[Suppress-Script] Initial list of 300 languages

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Sun Mar 12 18:54:13 CET 2006

At 09:36 -0800 2006-03-12, McDonald, Ira wrote:

>For six years, almost all network printers have supported
>IETF IPP/1.1 (RFC 2911), which DOES externally tag the
>language of print data streams - the CUPS spooler that is
>now ubiquitous in Linux distributions, standard in MacOS,
>and common in commercial UNIX distributions uses IPP for
>the print protocol.

What is a "network printer"? Does it differ from the HP laserprinter
I have? We access it via our 802.11x network. I print languages on
this all the time that are not "tagged".

>If you send your print job in Unicode (UTF-8 or UTF-16) to
>your laser printer _and_ the printer has sufficient fonts
>installed (for the necessary scripts), bad things won't
>happen.

My print jobs are sent by Mac OS X using fonts which are on the
computer, not fonts that might be in the laserprinter.

>  But if your print data is in a legacy charset
>(like almost all existing documents in the world), then
>bad things will begin to happen when unsupported 'script'
>subtags are infixed in language tags.
>
>This problem is particularly serious when _you_ did not
>create the print data stream (e.g., it was printed by
>reference from a web resource) and your client application
>has no control over the language tags.

If you say so. None of this makes sense to me. Except that it seems
like it's all an elaborate hack. Or a dozen of them.