[Suppress-Script] Initial list of 300 languages

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Sun Mar 12 18:36:24 CET 2006

Hi Michael,

Language tags in print jobs (in control or data streams)
apply _only_ to the text (not surprising).

For six years, almost all network printers have supported
IETF IPP/1.1 (RFC 2911), which DOES externally tag the
language of print data streams - the CUPS spooler that is
now ubiquitous in Linux distributions, standard in MacOS,
and common in commercial UNIX distributions uses IPP for
the print protocol.

If you send your print job in Unicode (UTF-8 or UTF-16) to
your laser printer _and_ the printer has sufficient fonts
installed (for the necessary scripts), bad things won't
happen.  But if your print data is in a legacy charset
(like almost all existing documents in the world), then
bad things will begin to happen when unsupported 'script'
subtags are infixed in language tags.

This problem is particularly serious when _you_ did not
create the print data stream (e.g., it was printed by
reference from a web resource) and your client application
has no control over the language tags.

Cheers,
- Ira

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc