Language subtag modification request: frr Suppres-Script Latn

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Sat Mar 11 21:00:35 CET 2006

Debbie Garside <debbie at ictmarketing dot co dot uk> wrote:

> I thought this was happening anyway!  I thought there was a discussion
> on LTRU in relation to this?
>
> In any case... it would be most useful.

In the initial registry, we added Comments to the records of
grandfathered tags that had been superseded by ISO-based subtags, and in
the case of "jw" to indicate that it was published by error in the ISO
standard.  We did not add Comments to deprecated records in general,
since the Preferred-Value was usually sufficient to tell the story.

Peter is correct that we can always add these at a later date.

I would just caution us to be careful about trying to make the registry
too much of a general-purpose compendium of information about the
languages (script, regions, ...) contained therein.  I don't claim that
adding these Comments fields would be so bad, but that we need to watch
out for the slippery slope.

As for LTRU, if there was a *recent* discussion about this issue over
there, it's entirely possible I've missed it.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA