Comments for Description changes (was: Language subtag modification request: frr Suppres-Script Latn)

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Sat Mar 11 20:43:14 CET 2006

Peter Constable <petercon at microsoft dot com> wrote:

>> I hadn't thought of that.  Does anyone else agree that when a change
>> in the Description field is made, based on a change in the
>> corresponding ISO standard, it would be useful to add a Comments
>> field indicating the previous name?  Would this help users?  Comments
>> invited.
>
> I think it is generally useful to add documentation that will assist
> users.

Well, of course it is.  That wasn't my question, though.  *Does* it, in
fact, assist users to know that the subtag "fy", which means "Western
Frisian" -- at least as soon as IANA acts on the modification request
Michael sent them on Wednesday -- formerly meant "Frisian"?

Note that I didn't say it does or doesn't; I just posed the question.
And in fact, I think you and Kent have made a good case for adding the
comments.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA