[Suppress-Script] Yiddish

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sat Mar 11 19:52:42 CET 2006

Caoimhin O Donnaile scripsit:

> On the Yiddish question, am I right in thinking that
> Western Yiddish (Ethnologue: yih) was normally written in Latn while
> Eastern Yiddish (Ethnologue: ydd) was and is normally written in Hebr?

Certainly the works of Western Yiddish that I'm familiar with are written
in Hebr, like almost all other Jewish languages.  Western Yiddish died
out in the 19th century when its speakers switched to Standard German
(often to the exclusion of local German varieties), but while it was
still in use continued to be written in Hebr.

> Code "ji" is deprecated and replaced by "yi", which equates with
> Ethnologue ydd.  See: http://www.ethnologue.com/14/show_iso639.asp?code=yi
> In fact, yi is already in the Language Subtag Registry with
> Suppress-Script: Hebr.

Rightly so, I think.

We call nothing profound                        cowan at ccil.org
that is not wittily expressed.                  John Cowan
        --Northrop Frye (improved)              http://www.ap.org