[Suppress-Script] Initial list of 300 languages

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Sat Mar 11 18:23:53 CET 2006

> Randy Presuhn wrote:
>
> Since the entire motivation for "Suppress-Script" is
> compatibility with information that has already been tagged,
> I suggest we limit ourselves, at least for the present time,
> to cases where we *know* that substantial amounts of data
> have already been tagged without a script subtag.

It is disturbing that our co-chair of LTRU WG still completely
misunderstands the purpose and usage of Suppress-Script.

For the long-term future, when tagging documents, Suppress-Script
MUST continue to be honored, in order to ensure compatibility
with application software (e.g., word processors) and embedded
software (e.g., firmware in network printers).

No network printer now in existence currently supports 'script'
subtags.  If you send a document (e.g., PostScript) to a network
printer with an external language tag of 'en-Latn-US' (e.g., in
the IPP 'document-natural-language' attribute), you're going to be
sadly surprised to have it rejected entirely or else rendered per
that printer's default natural language (e.g., 'ru', Russian),
that is to say with some very odd-looking glyphs.

"Tag wisely" means don't include redundant information.  This
applies to script subtags just like all other subtags.

Cheers,
- Ira

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839