Language subtag modification request: frr Suppres-Script Latn

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Sat Mar 11 07:47:48 CET 2006

Frank Ellermann <nobody at xyzzy dot claranet dot de> wrote:

> You have already stated that you're not intending to follow
> the rules.

I assume this is in relation to Michael not reaching a verdict on
Frank's "combination request" named in the Subject line.

I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but I think it bears repeating:
I do NOT believe it is appropriate to merge a Suppress-Script assignment
into a registration for an ISO-based language subtag.

ISO-based subtags are supposed to be submitted and registered almost
immediately after one of us notices they have been added to the relevant
ISO standard.  There should be no debate about them, unless a conflict
of some sort is suspected.

Suppress-Script proposals are open to all kinds of debate, by their
nature, and as we have seen quite clearly over the past day.  They are
subject to at least a two-week review period, and preferably should be
waved in front of as many experts as possible.  They are anything but
automatic.

Mixing these two types of request is a bad idea.  Note that I'm not
saying whether "frr" should or should not have a Suppress-Script.  Now
that "frr" and the others have been submitted to IANA, and we should be
expecting IANA to add them to the registry Any Day Now, we can discuss
the S-S issues out in the open, where they belong, separate from the
question of adding the subtags.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA