[Suppress-Script] Initial list of 300 languages

David Starner prosfilaes at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 23:31:22 CET 2006

On 3/10/06, John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org> wrote:
> > >         Latn (meets the "overwhelming majority" condition)
> >
> > I disagree here; it doesn't meet what I would mean by overwhelming majority.
>
> How much Klingon in Klingon script is there, really?  (Gibberish in Klingon
> script, as seen on TV, doesn't count.)

Some shirts, some webpages, etc. Percentage-wise, I don't feel Klingon
in Latn is near the level of English in Latn or Russian in Cryl.

As much as the raw amount, I think that there's enough support for the
Klingon script among Klingon speakers that assuming Latn is too much,
and there's enough support for the Klingon script among a high enough
percentage of a small enough population that in five or ten years,
Klingon could be published almost soley in the Klingon script. Given
that supress-script has to be stable to work, I think setting it to
Latn today is dangerous.

I'm also a bit concerned with the fact that it's going to have to be
stable, but we don't necessarily have experts for all those languages
on list. I think setting it without review is dangerous.