Language subtag modification request: frr Suppres-Script Latn

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Mar 10 20:07:00 CET 2006

Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com scripsit:

> In the context of this discussion, I remind you all to keep in mind that
> RFC3066bis is used to identify spoken languages as well as written. In
> this case, script distinctions, even suppressed, are not appropriate.
> zh-cmn defines spoken Mandarin. Neither zh-cmn-Hant or zh-cmn-Hans would
> be appropriate in this situation -- even if the script is suppressed.

Absolutely.  Suppress-Script isn't about not using script tags where they
make no semantic sense.  It's about not using them even when they *do*
make semantic sense, but should be suppressed for reasons of backward
compatibility.

By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall     cowan at ccil.org
have neither the Ring nor me!  --Frodo          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan