Language subtag modification request: frr Suppres-Script Latn

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Fri Mar 10 07:54:38 CET 2006

Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

> And who has come to the registry with this concern? English can't be
> issued a "Suppress-script". I have many texts in English in other
> scripts: In Runic, in Tengwar. I have a book all about writing
> English in Cyrillic.

Those situations are not what Suppress-Script is all about.  I think you
may have missed the point on this.

Suppress-Script says that when you are dealing with the most common
case -- the script that is used to write a particular language an
overwhelming majority of the time, like Latin for English -- that use of
the script subtag is not recommended.  In other words, in the normal
case, "en" is preferred over "en-Latn".

Suppress-Script has nothing to do with cases like "en-Runr" or "en-Teng"
or "en-Cyrl", or for that matter "pt-Arab".  All of those tags are
perfectly fine, not discouraged in any way, and in fact they can be used
right off the shelf without need for individual registration, thanks to
the new rules.  If you have a need to distinguish English in Latin from
English in Runic, you can also use "en-Latn" alongside "en-Runr".
There's nothing wrong with that; the script subtag in "en-Latn" adds
information in this case.

All that Suppress-Script says is that when you are dealing a "normal"
case like English in Latin or Portuguese in Latin, and not working with
a "comparison" situation as above, the "Latn" script probably does not
add information and should therefore be omitted.  This is similar to
saying that the region subtag in "pon-FM" probably does not add
information and should therefore be omitted.

> All of the scripts of the world are routinely transliterated into
> Latin, by the United Nations and other authorities. Therefore *no*
> language that primarily uses a non-Latin script is eligible for
> "Suppress-script". And in many countries of the world, names in the
> Latin script are routinely transcribed into non-Latin scripts. There
> are often standards for doing this.

Transcriptions and transliterations of Russian or Chinese into Latin, or
French into Cyrillic or Han, can be tagged as "ru-Latn" or "zh-Latn" or
"fr-Cyrl" or "fr-Hani".  These are perfectly fine, and they have nothing
to do with Suppress-Script.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA