Language subtag modification request: frr Suppres-Script Latn

Mark Davis mark.davis at icu-project.org
Thu Mar 9 19:02:21 CET 2006

That is very much the wrong way to phrase it. RFC3066bis *allows* the
insertion of script subtags; it does not require it. And this is not a
backwards incompatibility with 3066 -- there are already such tags in
3066. However, the script, *like the country*, should only be included
where it makes a difference, and the Suppress-Script was added to guide
users of the registry in knowing when this should be done. (I, like
Addison, was of the view that the negative would have been more
practical; specifying the few cases where the script is needed is rather
more useful than listing all the cases where it is not. But that's in
the past.)

 >It is critically important that Suppress-Script be filled
It isn't really a critical matter at all. Whether or not there is a
suppress-script tag on frr, if I know enough about frr to be using the
tag, I'm not going to be adding a Latn subtag on it.

However, it is the responsibility of the language tag reviewer to -- in
a timely fashion -- review all of the requests made in accordance with
the rules set down in 3066bis, and follow those rules in determining
what changes to make to the registry. This is a straightforward request
with an obvious answer, so I see no grounds for the reviewer to reject it.

 >Michael, if you seriously intend to impede the population of
Suppress-Script in the registry, then RFC3066bis MUST be dropped and
reworked.
Let's not move to inflamatory language quite so quickly. I don't think
that Michael was yet clear enough on the responsibilities of the
reviewer, not that he meant to impede them. Moreover, there is no
question of revising 3066bis to suit anyone's personal preferences. It
is the responsibility of the IESG to appoint a reviewer who can meet the
responsibilities as laid out; if Michael is uncomfortable with that --
or simply doesn't have enough time in his schedule to do so, given his
work on minority scripts which may take him out of contact for periods
of time -- there are many other capable people who could.

Mark