Language subtag modification request: frr Suppres-Script Latn

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Thu Mar 9 17:55:24 CET 2006

Hi Michael Everson, et al,

RFC 3066bis makes a VERY non-backward-compatible change
by inserting 'script' subtags after 'language' and BEFORE
'region'.  All existing deployed software then breaks
on existing deployed language tags when an unnecessary
'script' subtag is included in a search request.

Suppress-Script was added to partially ameliorate this
non-backward-compatible change.

It is critically important that Suppress-Script be filled
in for every language where it is appropriate in the
registry.

Contributors from the email, LDAP, and printing communities
reluctantly agreed to concur with this non-backward-compatible
placement of 'script' subtags _only_ if Suppress-Script was
added and made as ubiquitous as possible in the registry.

Michael, if you seriously intend to impede the population
of Suppress-Script in the registry, then RFC3066bis MUST
be dropped and reworked.  This is a central feature.

Cheers,
- Ira (for the IEEE/ISTO PWG Steering Committee and
       FSG Open Printing Steering Committee)

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434