language variant subtag en-cutspell

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Tue Jun 27 09:47:14 CEST 2006

Joze Fabcic <joze dot fabcic at hermes dot si> wrote:

> Doug, what criteria do you use? Can you quantify "a semblance of a
> base of users of Cut Spelling" into something more measurable?

I agree with Addison on this: practically any group of users of Cut
Spelling, or any group of documents written in Cut Spelling, that can be
verified to exist would probably qualify.  The difference is between
serving an actual group of users and/or documents, and building a system
as a hobby or experiment and hoping it MAY benefit someone.

Last September I suggested a primary language subtag for Unilingua
(a.k.a. Mirad), a constructed language invented in 1965 and documented
only in a book by its inventor and an impressively comprehensive suite
of Wikibooks articles.  This list rejected this suggestion rather
forcefully.  So I can attest to the importance of demonstrating the
existence of users of the language or variant, or documents written (or
spoken, etc.) in the language or variant.

> As an example, I wanted to know how much is the language tag de-1996
> used. It is registered for about 5 years...

I was not involved in ietf-languages in July 2002 when the set of
de-*-1901 and de-*-1996 tags was approved, so these tags have nothing to
do with my skepticism about en-cutspell.  Beyond that, I agree with
Addison (again) that most documents in de-1996 (or de-1901) do not
actually need to be tagged as such, so you would not expect to find much
usage.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA