A proposed solution for descriptions (was: Re: ISO 639 - New item approved - N'Ko)

Jon Hanna jon at hackcraft.net
Tue Jun 20 18:01:09 CEST 2006

Mark Crispin wrote:
> Is it understood within this group how recent comments on this list
> ("uncooth", "unclean", etc.) about the superiority of U+2019 over U+0027
> would be viewed by the general public, or even by the wider community of
> programmers?

Well, as for the wider community of programmers, I'm not sure I'd trust
a programmer if he or she wasn't familiar with "unclean!" as a comic
hyperbolic reaction to something that was a Bad Thing. Maybe I'd give
them the benefit of the doubt if English wasn't their first language,
but otherwise I'd want to know how they were so ignorant of geek culture
before letting them near a line of code.

As for uncooth, I claim the right to call something uncooth under the
"takes one to know one" rule :)

 > The archives of this list are publicly available.  You may want to
 > temper some of these comments, lest they come back to haunt in the
 > context of "why nobody should take seriously what Unicode has to say."

People will always make assumptions of the variety "Napolean likes the
colour green, Napolean is a megalomaniac dictator, therefore everyone
who likes green is a megalomaniac dictator". Trying to avoid such
reactions is pointless.