Registration forms for description changes

Kent Karlsson kentk at cs.chalmers.se
Sun Jun 11 23:55:55 CEST 2006

> > "Bok" means "book" and "mål" means "language", and "bokmål"
> > does not mean "book language" (whatever that might be)
>
> I would say that a rough interpretation of "book language" in
> English would be "literary language".
>
> Perhaps it would be good if you could translate "bokmål".

I would be rather interested in that too. The explanation I've
gotten is that (Norwegian) "bokmål" is the "Norwegian language
as used in books" (all at the time, "most" these days; of course
there are now books in nynorsk), often spelled the very similarly
to Danish. Nynorsk is "new" in a way somehwat similar to that
New York is "new" York. And that nynorsk is basically an artificial
language synthesised (hence "new") from a number of traditional
Norwegian dialects (hence Norwegian), and thus in a sense "older"
than bokmål. It was created by Ivar Aasen. But maybe I got it all
wrong. I would be interested in exactly how.

I'm just waiting for the mail that tells me that Côte d'Ivoire cannot
be called Ivory Cost, nor, of course, Elfenbenskusten (as it is
called in Swedish). Or that Timor-Leste cannot be translated to
East Timor, nor, of course Östtimor (as it is called in Swedish).
Or that Nya Zeeland (New Zealand) cannot be called that for some
reason.

Indeed, referring to "svenska" as "Swedish" in English is of
course wrong. And Ancient Greek I'm sure has a Greek name
(perhaps not an Ancient Greek name, as it would then be referred
to as just Greek (in Greek)) that cannot be translated...

We're getting a bit off-topic.

I'd be happy to leave the registry as it is on these points,
rather than introducing a number of (other) incorrectnesses
(which I've already commented on). I hope CLDR/English
is not too tighly bound to the "Description" fields in the
language subtag registry.

	/kent k