Registration forms for description changes

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sun Jun 11 23:21:00 CEST 2006

Debbie Garside scripsit:

> I would say that a rough interpretation of "book language" in English would
> be "literary language".
>
> Perhaps it would be good if you could translate "bokmål".

Wikipedia gives a good clear answer:

# Bokmål (lit. "book language") is the most commonly used of two official
# written standards of Norwegian, the other being Nynorsk. Bokmål is
# used by around 85-90% of the population (regardless of spoken dialect)
# and is the standard most commonly taught to foreign students of
# Norwegian. Bokmål and Riksmål (see below) are based mostly on written
# Danish language and also adhere more closely to Eastern Norwegian,
# particularly the variants spoken around the capital of Oslo. The
# various dialects of Norwegian that are traditionally written using
# Bokmål orthography are the ones that have evolved away from Old Norse
# under the influence of Danish and Middle Low German. In contrast, the
# west-coast dialects that are commonly written using Nynorsk, retain
# certain features typical of the older form of the language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokm%C3%A5l

--
A few times, I did some exuberant stomping about,       John Cowan
like a hippo auditioning for Riverdance, though         cowan at ccil.org
I stopped when I thought I heard something at           http://ccil.org/~cowan
the far side of the room falling over in rhythm
with my feet.  -- Joseph Zitt