ISO 639 - New item approved - N'Ko

Mark Crispin mrc at CAC.Washington.EDU
Fri Jun 9 09:33:20 CEST 2006

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006, Doug Ewell wrote:
> I would agree with Mark's rather ambitious vision IF that was the kind of
> registry we were maintaining.  But the Language Subtag Registry is a registry
> of codes, not names.  The names are just informative.

In that case, stipulate that the names are in English and restricted to
ASCII.  It's not politically correct, but is the ONLY form that is
globally useful.

My "ambitious vision" was intended to be in descending priority order, and
subsetable.

To be honest, if you don't limit it to the English/ASCII name, and
possibly a second native-language/Unicode name, you effectively have no
limit.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc