ISO 639 - New item approved - N'Ko

L.Gillam at surrey.ac.uk L.Gillam at surrey.ac.uk
Thu Jun 8 23:55:11 CEST 2006

Mark Crispin wrote: what makes the French more important than the Russians or the Chinese?

I believe it's the underlying standards based on the "languages of ISO". The "languages of ISO" are English, French and Russian - though I'm not aware of too many trilingual ISO standards.

On the remainder of the mail, I believe consensus previously has been that a fully multi-national/multi-lingual registry of names is not the current underlying goal of this effort. Of course, with sufficient efforts and pressures through ISO - and given elements being including in ISO 639-4 - perhaps this might become a consideration in future. Both Debbie and I have a current copy of -4 that I'm sure we could feed commentary back to ISO through BSI from interested parties.