language subtag registration request: Region EU

Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com
Fri Jan 13 01:34:09 CET 2006

Mark wrote:

>For German, de-150 and de-155 would include (high) German as spoken
>in Switzerland, but de-EU would not. de-EU would be broad enough for
>german in DE/AT/LX however.

For the record, the spoken dialect of high German most commonly used in
Switzerland is now "gsw." de-150 would not include Switzerland's primary
spoken dialect of German.

I'm having a hard time seeing where the EU distinction would be useful
where the U.N. code would not unless you're talking about locale codes,
which are distinct from RFC 3066bis language codes. Currency is not a
component of language.

Do you have another use case you might want to share? I'm intrigued.

Regards,

Karen Broome
Metadata Systems Designer
Sony Pictures Entertainment