[Ltru] Alemanic & Swiss German

Mark Davis mark.davis at icu-project.org
Mon Dec 4 01:46:33 CET 2006

Sorry, the example I chose was confusing. Let me try again.

Defining "Swiss German" or "Schwyzerdütsch"* with

gsw                       Alemanic

in 639-3 (and one of two descriptions in 639-2), is like defining "dog" with

dog                        Canidae

when Canidae also includes wolves, foxes, coyotes, and jackals, not just
dogs.

Mark

*That appears to be the most common spelling on the web, though I learned it
as Schwyzertüütsch when I lived there.