Request for variant subtag: western

Addison Phillips addison at yahoo-inc.com
Wed Aug 30 01:42:36 CEST 2006

Here's my thought:

I'm downright leery of generic subtags. There is too much room of
mischief, matching woes, and unnecessary tagging variation. To the
extent that it is reasonable to do so, the community should restrict
generic registrations in ways that guide users towards using tags in a
systematic manner. I personally oppose completely generic registrations
for that reason, especially by the bushel. Language tag choices are
difficult enough.

I don't have a problem with separating "Western Armenian" from "Eastern
Armenian", though. This appears to describe, to my untrained eye, a
dialectical distinction, so the registration is in order. Thus, I'd be
much happier if the registration form said:

  Type: variant
  Subtag: western
  Prefix: hy
  Comments: Prefix 'hy': Western Armenian, as distinct from
    the Eastern dialect.
  Comments: This subtag should only be used with the prefixes
    listed. When multiple prefixes are present, bear in mind
    that each is a distinct dialect of that language.

Addison

--
Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Yahoo! Inc.