New item in ISO 639-2 - Zaza

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Wed Aug 23 09:08:28 CEST 2006

Doug Ewell scripsit:

> Well, now THIS is interesting.  ISO/DIS 639-3 has no code element "zza",
> but it does have "diq" for Dimli and "kiu" for Kirmanjki (both listed as
> languages of Turkey).  So it appears we have a case where the same
> language(s) is (are) represented by different code elements in 639-2 and
> 639-3.

Ow.  Ow ow ow ow ow.

The Right Thing is probably for 639-3 to make "zza" a macrolanguage
covering Dimli and Kirmanjki.

"The serene chaos that is Courage, and the phenomenon   cowan at ccil.org
of Unopened Consciousness have been known to the        John Cowan
Great World eons longer than Extaboulism."
"Why is that?" the woman inquired.
"Because I just made that word up", the Master said wisely.
        --Kehlog Albran, The Profit             http://www.ccil.org/~cowan