New item in ISO 639-2 - Zaza

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Wed Aug 23 08:42:22 CEST 2006

Håvard Hjulstad <HHj at standard dot no> wrote:

> The ISO 639 Registration Authorities Joint Advisory Committee
> (RAs-JAC) has approved the following new item:
>
> Identifier: zza
> (No alpha-2 identifier assigned)
>
> English names: Zaza; Dimili; Dimli; Kirdki; Kirmanjki; Zazaki
>
> French names: zaza; dimili; dimli; kirdki; kirmanjki; zazaki
>
> Indigenous names: Zaza; Dimili; Dimli; Kirdki; Kirmanjki; Zazaki

Well, now THIS is interesting.  ISO/DIS 639-3 has no code element "zza",
but it does have "diq" for Dimli and "kiu" for Kirmanjki (both listed as
languages of Turkey).  So it appears we have a case where the same
language(s) is (are) represented by different code elements in 639-2 and
639-3.

I guess we will add a subtag corresponding to this new 639-2 code
element, but I'm curious about whether this will force a change in
639-3, and whether this sort of mismatch could happen after 639-3 goes
live.  That could make things messy in the Registry in the 3066ter era.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA