Guernsey Jersey and Isle of Man ISO 3166-1 Codes

Caoimhin O Donnaile caoimhin at smo.uhi.ac.uk
Sat Apr 1 19:30:05 CEST 2006

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, Randy Presuhn wrote:

> I can understand adding a comment when the absence of the comment
> might cause someone to mis-tag data.  I don't see how that is the case
> in this instance.

I suppose if someone was going to tag the English language dialect
of the Isle of Man:

   http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/fulltext/scrap3/ch07.htm

then the new codes mean that it would be tagged as en-IM, rather
than registering a new variant code for it as for en-scouse.

And similarly, Jèrriaises:

   http://www.societe-jersiaise.org/geraint/jerriais.html

which the Ethnologue classifies as a dialect of French and not a
separate language, would be fr-JE.

The comment might just help someone to realise that, if they
chanced to look in the right place.

Caoimhín