Scottish English

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Oct 21 19:46:26 CEST 2005

Marion Gunn scripsit:

> > My dictionaries all
> > indicate that Gaelic is a term that refers to Irish or Scottish
>
> Continuing hard work goes into correcting misconceived dictionary entries.:-(

Dictionaries, unlike standardizers, are committed to reporting the forms that
people actually do use, not the forms that someone thinks they should use.
I agree that "Gaelic" is very misleading as a label for Irish, and "Irish
Gaelic" may be offensive to some (though I can't think why), but neither one
should be evicted from a dictionary of English.

--
John Cowan       http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        <cowan at ccil.org>
                Clear all so!  `Tis a Jute.... (Finnegans Wake 16.5)