Scottish English

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Thu Oct 20 09:42:03 CEST 2005

--On onsdag, oktober 19, 2005 23:10:46 -0400 "John.Cowan"
<jcowan at reutershealth.com> wrote:

> Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com scripsit:
>
>> I have a film here that has an original language of heavily accented
>> Scottish English. The actors from the original version dubbed a second
>> version of the film with less of a Scottish accent (en-GB). If I want to
>> distinguish the two versions by language and codify the difference
>> between  Scottish English and English English, how can I do this in an
>> RFC-3066-compatible way?
>
> If, as I suspect, the original film is in Scots, then sco is an
> appropriate tag.  Standard English with a Scottish accent would be
> registerable as en-gb-scottish, or you could just tag it en in this case.

standard gripe....

from the material available from ISO 639, there's no way of telling for
sure whether "sco" ("Scots") refers to a language related to English or a
language related to Gaelic.
In this case, there's a broad hint given by the existence of the tag "gla"
(Scottish Gaelic) that indicates it's probably English-related, and which I
saw because it's next to the other in the list of codes by English name I
was consulting, but I am looking forward to the day when people who need
language tags can pick the right tag for a language without consulting an
expert...

(of course, I imagine that if en-gb-scottish existed as a tag, the judgment
on whether a particular text or movie was to be tagged en-gb-scottish or
sco would definitely need some supporting documentation on the
difference...)

                      Harald