Scottish English

Speechways at aol.com Speechways at aol.com
Thu Oct 20 06:22:19 CEST 2005

Dear Karen
John's solution seems right at this stage of the game.  In the longer term,
however, we shall need a system which allows as much accuracy in tagging
varieties of speech as in tagging varieties of script.  There are of course wide
variations within Scots and within Scottish English, which we are dealing with in
our proposals for 639-6 (using 4-letter tags).
David Dalby
Linguasphere Observatory/Linguasphere ICT

In a message dated 10/20/2005 4:11:31 AM GMT Daylight Time,
jcowan at reutershealth.com writes:

Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com scripsit:

> I have a film here that has an original language of heavily accented
> Scottish English. The actors from the original version dubbed a second
> version of the film with less of a Scottish accent (en-GB). If I want to
> distinguish the two versions by language and codify the difference between
> Scottish English and English English, how can I do this in an
> RFC-3066-compatible way?

If, as I suspect, the original film is in Scots, then sco is an appropriate
tag.  Standard English with a Scottish accent would be registerable as
en-gb-scottish, or you could just tag it en in this case.